Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: Utterly Charming by Kristine Grayson
















He could be her own personal Prince Charming if only dreams did come true...

Mysterious, handsome wizard Aethelstan Blackstone hires a beautiful, hardworking attorney Nora Barr to get a restraining order to protect Sleeping Beauty from the evil stepmother.  But if Sleeping Beauty is supposed to be his soul mate, then how come he's becoming bewitched by Nora?

And when Nora finds herself baby-sitting a clueless maiden from the middle ages, avoiding a very wicked witch, and falling hard for the man whose magic she doesn't believe in, she begins to think that love itself is only fairy tale...  description taken from the back cover.




As soon as I started the book I knew I liked Greyson's writing style.  Her characters are well formed and the introduction of the characters in the beginning I found to be humorous.  I didn't really know what to expect when dealing with a mix of modern and old fairy tale, but I was interested since the very start.  The "Sleeping Beauty" is named Emma.  She isn't so much a sleeping beauty though unless you call a young, pretty girl in a thousand year old coma a 'Sleeping Beauty'.  From the back cover description of the book, I expected more of a "true" fairy tale characters, which made we wonder if it would mix well.  But, because Greyson wrote the characters in the way she did, with characters based off of the idea of the original fairy tale characters, it worked beautifully.

Blackstone is our hero in UTTERLY CHARMING.  He is the gorgeous wizard that women stop on the sidewalk when he walks by and starts drooling.  Blackstone first seems handsome, easy going, calm and cool.  Later on though, he shows these vulnerabilities, going from sure and cocky to looking somewhat helpless and sad, that made him more endearing in my opinion.

Nora is a good character.  Blackstone is a strike of luck for Nora, who was going broke quick, her own law practice not working as well as she was hoping it would.  Blackstone offered her a huge sum of money to basically do nothing, and with that money, Nora started to thrive. 

Ten years later, after the introductions are made, the action, drama and (or not-so-much-yet) romance starts.


I liked the book.  It was a refreashing change to what I normally read, and it was beautifully written.



Until Next Time,
Happy Reading!





**I was sent a copy of the book in order to write a real and honest review. I was not paid to write this review. All opinions are my own.**

0 comments: