Friday, March 19, 2010

Review: The Fire Lord's Lover by Kathryne Kennedy (ARC)

 The Fire Lord's Lover, by Kathryne Kennedy, is 384 pages.  It will be available on July 6, 2010 and is published by Sourcebooks Casablaca.

Kennedy weaves a tale about seven (7) different races of Elves who live in the human realm.  They came to the human realm because the crazy (and most powerful) leaders of each race became bored with the peacefulness of their own realm. 

The story follows the bastard son of the Ruler of the Fire Elves.  Dominic Raikes looks just like his father.  White fair, perfect complextion and pointed elven ears.  He is a solider, the General of the troops.  Elven are supposed to have no feelings.  Dominic is half elven, half human. Because of this, his father "tests" (tortures) him to make him stronger.  He is to show no feelings.  For, everytime he has shown his feelings, aka caring for others, that other person, animal, etc. is killed thanks to his daddy.

Because Dominic is only half elven, he has the life span of a human.  And his dad needs another Champion to win his battles.  So, his dad commands that he weds and give him a Champion.  Lady Cassandra.  Pure yet trained to be a assassin in order to kill the crazy Elven Fire Ruler.  She marries Dominic only for him to shun her for his beautiful mistress (who is a total bitch by the way!)  Little does she know that the General does such to keep her safe from his father's wrath.

Growing to love one another, Dominic finally leaves his mistress.  But, what about dear old dad?  He is still a major threat in the game.  Cassandra tries to kill him so she can have a real marriage with her husband. The book ends with a nice little twist, but you will have to find out for yourself what it is by reading The Fire Lord's Lover yourself which releases July 6th.  Somewhat closing the end to Dominic and Cassandra's story, the book ends there.

------

Yes, it ended!  Way too soon!  But, it is part of a series, so I am hoping the couple will be mentioned some more so I can find out what happens to them.  One part of this book sticks out on my mind everytime I think about it:  Newspapers were drawing and printing cartoons in honor of the General and in one cartoon his pointed ears were extreamly exaggerated.  Dominic (I could totally picture him!)  was pouting and was like 'my ears arn't that big'.  I thought that was adorable.

The begining of the book (I admit) I skimmed because it was so slow getting into it all.  The characters were mediem as far as development goes.  Could they have been better?  Yeah, probably; but they were still good.  I felt like a switch was flicked through half of the book.  One minute Dominic couldn't care about Cass and the next minute he was confessing his love for her.  It was all very Stephanie Meyer-esk.  (I say this because her Twilight books were not about loving each other but a weird and twisted infatuation).

If any of you watch American Idol, then you know what I'm talking about, if not, I guess you are out of the loop: I have to quote Simon Cowel "It was good, but it wasn't rememorable".   Was the book good enough for me to buy the next book in the series?  Maybe if I find it sitting in my local used book store on sale for a good price.  Other than that, I will probably forget about this particular book.  It was good, good enough that a few images will probably stay with me.  But, it wasn't great.

Other info:
ISBN- 978140223625
http://kathrynekennedy.com/



** Pretty Good
Heat Rating= Sweet


**Source Books, Inc. sent me a free copy of the book to review in order to procure a real and honest review. I was not paid for the review**





Until Next Time,
Happy Reading!

0 comments: