Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: The Host by Stephenie Meyer


The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human. description taken from here.

----

You might be wandering why The Host is being reviewed on SWR.  It is a science-fiction-y book, but, in the background of it, there is a romance.  A really dull and lightly played on romance. 

I read it first and didn't care much for it.  My mom read it after me, and she fell in love with it.  I didn't like it because I'm not into the science fiction genre.  Well, I take that back.. I suppose I am since I love to read about vampires, werewolves, and the like.  But, I'm just not an alien fan.  Never have been.  In fact, the only alien books I actually like are Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress Series.

The Host is completly PG rated, maybe even G, although there is a slight violence in it.  Definetly any age that wants to read it, should be able to read it.  The language is clean, there are zero sex scenes, there is no crude humor, no dirty references of any kind.  The book is basically kid proof.  This is a good book for a 12 year old who wants to conquer a big novel.  There is some action, which should keep their attention, but mostly, the struggles are internal.

The begining of the book is a bit confusing and the end plays out where it sounds open to sequels.  Does that mean there will be sequels?  I don't know.  The book was orginially published in 2008 (2 years ago) and there is no talk about any other books in the make.  Meyer says in interviews she has "many ideas" and wants to write a "ghost story", but there is no talk yet of a sequel for The Host.  Would I personally read a sequel if it came out?  No.  I wouldn't.  It did not personally keep my interest.  My mom loved the story, but it just didn't grab my attention. 




* Eh, ok..
Heat Rating= non existent



Until Next Time,
Happy Reading!



0 comments: