Saturday, January 9, 2010

Interview with author Jess Scott

     Hey readers!  Today we have a special treat, an interview with author Jess Scott.  Jess has written Eyelash: A Blog Novel and 4:Play, a book she calls "multiple genre crossing".  So, without further ado, here is Jess Scott..


SWR: Tell us a little about yourself.

JS: I'm a writer, artist, dreamer, doer, and non-conformist.

SWR: Have you always wanted to be an author, or did you have other dreams growing up?

JS:  I think being an author has always been the strongest vocation. I've had many other dreams/aspirations/considerations. I recall wanting to be a hairstylist, psychologist, criminologist, ESL teacher, physiotherapist -- the list goes on!

SWR:  What has been your favorite book to write and why?

JS:  My favorite book to write tends to be the project I'm currently working on. Maybe it's because I get a kick out of the actual writing process. My first book is a blog/IM novel; it was quite a challenge to get together (especially with the formatting). My second book is an erotic short story collection; it was challenging in the sense that I wanted to maintain an element of (racial, sexual, and neurological) diversity throughout the stories. The third book, which I'm in the process of tweaking, is more mainstream than the first two -- it's been fun seeing to this one also.

SWR:  Tell us about the road to publication. Was it difficult?

JS:  Yes, it was. I spent half a year discussing EyeLeash: A Blog Novel, with an interested YA acquisitions editor, but he left for another publishing house. Not many people wanted to take a look at 4:Play, because it was a short story collection by a single author. It also doesn't fit nicely into a specific genre. So I've had to take matters into my own hands (if only because I'm a "poor college student"). I came up with self-designed book covers, and self-produced book trailers -- it turned out to be a better experience than I expected. Tremendously tiring, but worth the trouble.

SWR:  Do you have a muse? What inspires you to write?

JS:  My favorite classic authors (Edgar Allan Poe and Oscar Wilde, etc.), music, and the world/humanity in general. Inspiration comes from every source imaginable.

SWR:  How can fans connect with you? (social networking sites, websites, etc.)

JS:
Website: http://www.jesscscott.com/

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jesscscott

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jesscscott

Google (full list): http://www.google.com/profiles/missfey

SWR:  Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

JS:  Aim high, and keep going.


Thanks Jess!




0 comments: